ISLAM FGD
Education
University:
7 were all
university students 6 of them ungraduated, 1 in techno and others in Yarmouk
There were
some differences in the required registration papers between universities
-
Difficult registration papers:
Quote: “We are asked to provide the universities formal
papers from Syria and it’s unrealistic to ask for papers from Syria as we ran
from there”.
Story: I was asked for papers from Syria
and what I did was contacted an office here in Jordan that facilitates formal
papers and could do paper work in Syria through contacts inside Syria.
Slow procedures in embassy
Story: I went to the Syrian embassy for 1 weeks and they are too slow to
provide services.
Economic issues
Causing students not to proceed with
their university study.
No place or people to get
information from, listening to other experiences only
Story: I went to university only for 1
Semester, she paid from her own money and couldn’t pay more. Students told me
to pay for the first Semester so can NGOs see later that I stopped and consider
me to a scholarship, but I’ve been waiting for a long time.
Emotions: Depression
Quote: “Rumer’s that Informal education is considered in
universities wastes our time and effort and we lost years”.
Bad university system:
Taking advantages from students by asking money for each subjects.
Story: “We as Syrians complained because
some subjects aren’t necessary and we pay money for them and they are not
relative to our future, the dean accepted their request and exchanged the
subject to a relative one”
Bad targeting & corruption in scholarships
Every 4000 applicants they take only 100
No clear criteria for scholarships’ applicants’ selection.
Racism in universities;
Quote: “When they know I’m Syrian they stop talking to
me”.
Story: “When Moath Kassasbi was killed a
lot of fights happened on the university Facebook pages & we were affected
and all Jordanians were aggressive to us”
Quote: “On the other hand some doctors as soon as they
know we are Syrians they help us a lot”
No guiders in universities:
No reliable person to talk to in the university and take accurate
information from, students give unsure advices to each other.
University Doctors questions aren’t appropriate:
Story: Some doctors in universities ask us
“Why are you studying if you will not be able to work? We reply;
Quote: “we are studying for our country”.
Emotions: Under estimated
School:
-
Racism in schools by teachers & other students:
Story: “I asked the teacher a question,
when he knew he was Syrian he said I won’t answer you, go learn on your own”.
Assumption: The reason was because this teacher gives private lessons and
he didn’t like Syrian kids because they don’t afford private lessons.
Story: “Students stand on the school’s doors steal Syrian’s money”.
The university student’s most concern is their younger
siblings in schools,
Quote: “We prefer helping those because we build our
path but the kids will be lost”.
Quote: “We are more than happy to do something
for the schools. They are the most important”
Bad & unsafe schools:
Crimes happening inside schools & drugs.
Drugs, harassments.
Dropping kids out of schools- (AlMuthana)
Schools refusing new students
No place to complain
Activities:
Volunteering
is a good chance to find job opportunity
Youth
exchange programs (Exchanging languages online)
Applying
to voluntary work because we believe that it will benefit our life
Voluntary
activities are for everyone-
Quote:
“I was involved in voluntary groups is the university, Google guide, Paper
airplane, Managed social media for NGOs, Translations”
Jobs:
- Informal jobs
- Bad treatment by employers
Story: “I was working at an Ice-cream place where the owner
was Jordanian but the manager is Syrian, I had load and a lot of work to do as
a cashier, he asked me to get him juice and I couldn’t leave the cashier area.
He was pissed off and spoke to me in a bad way”
Emotions: Humiliated
- Lack of jobs opportunities
Quote: “No jobs after graduation for us”
-
Online Jobs is our solution:
We are able to have online jobs because it doesn’t have to do with
Jordanian law.
-
No response after applying or interviews:
I applied to a lot of NGOs but they never reply back neither positive or negative
(They need Wastat) “I applied for Youth Leadership program (UNDP), no answer
after an interview”
Work permits
Quote: “Work permits aren’t relatives for us because we
want to work considering what we studied”
Deportation:
-
Working
informally would cause us deportation.
-
Story: I was working as modules photographer and I was
threatened by the employer, because a person liked my photos and wanted to work
with me personally.
Employers having Wasta could protect me from police asking
for work permit:
On daily normal days all police that came knew that I’m Syrian but because
the employer had good relationships with them they ignored that I’m Syrian.
Racism:
Story: We get a lot of harassment by
neighbors telling our little brothers that you Syrians are terrorists.
Not all Jordanians are racist:
Story: Once I had a fight with a man
driving, he shouted and I shouted back he wanted to beat me when he knew I’m
Syrian he kissed me on the head and said take care next time.
Aid:
- Bad targeting
Story: Mother having a child and her husband is dead she never got
assistance.
- Distributing Corruptions
- No one to complain to
Story: Every time we call they tell me we
will check and never get back.
Comments
Post a Comment