Skip to main content

Nabaa- FGD - 2017-10-18 - Irbid

13 Girls 2 in school age- 4 dropped out of school- 1 waiting for a scholarship- 1 GBV- one 28 girl employed.
Notes:
Nada- Makani volunteers, providing information education services,
Responsible of her family.
Graduated from Damascus Social Science + Master
Issues in getting Syrian papers: But never got her master degree because of moving to Jordan ad no one inside Syria to help her provide it, it needs a lot of procedures.
Finding a job is hard: She worked in different voluntary projects but there were long gaps between them. She suffered waiting for job or voluntary opportunities.
Lack of services information:
Story: “I first came with my mother & 2 brothers. My two brothers went back to Syria because we didn’t have information, we never knew that UNHCR is our government in Jordan so they thought how they could continue living here without getting support or a job or protection so they left”
Social issues:
Story: “We have a new problem that accrued after we came to Jordan that prevents me from going back, which is our families in Syria that think that we are working in prostitution in Jordan that’s why they think that we didn’t go back to Syria with my brothers”
 Note: All the group knocked their heads and added we are all facing this, people in Syria think that all Syrians staying in Jordan especially women & girls are being used for prostitution, and that we lost all ethics we got raised on in Syria  for example; by putting my personal picture on what’s app.
Quote:My cousins are threatening me that they will kill me when I go back to Syria because of my pictures”
Assumption:
The social media is spreading and generalizing these thoughts on all people staying in Jordan, it did happen in camps and in some families outside camps (sex job- mothers & fathers selling their daughters).
Dropping out of School:
All the girls in the group their brothers have dropped out of the school because they couldn’t accept going to school and their parents are suffering lack of money.
Story: “My brother didn’t accept going to school he wanted to work because he is the only male in the house “
Long hour’s jobs:  They can’t be studying and working because they can’t work less than 14 hours. Schools 7 hours + 14 hours job, so they chose to work.
Emotion: Dignity
Harassments on the school’s way:
Story: Some girls dropped out because of harassments on the way, the brothers or fathers couldn’t accept their daughters being harassed. So they are staying home now.
 Careless principles in schools:
Story:  I was in Zarqa and went to school and I got high grades 90%, the year after we moved to Irbid and registering in new school needed my previous registration papers from Zarqa School, when I went back to them the principle told me”
The principle says: “I don’t know where your papers are I might have thrown them”
Quote: “My dream is to continue studying especially that I love studying & my grades were high”.
Racism in schools.
Discriminations by teachers.
Story: “I had no makeup and I’ve seen a lot of Jordanian girls putting on makeup but the teacher didn’t give them any warning when she saw me she knows that I’m Syrian she shouted and asked me to wash my face with a cold water”.
Some Jordanian girls are seeing this discrimination by teachers so they are Accusing Syrian girls of things that they haven’t done.
Story: “I was sitting next to my sick friend, one of the Jordanian girls got a massage on her mobile that her parents did an accident when the teacher asked her how you knew, she pointed at my sick friend that I borrowed her mobile. My friend was detention then the teacher knew the girls was lying and no one apologized to my friend”
University:
Economy issue:
Quote: “I can’t continue my study in university because of the lack of money”
 Parents not allowing girls going to the university:
Story: “After registering for the university my mother didn’t let me go, she is very tough and she beats me a lot”

Aid:
The local community think that Syrians are payed for everything:
Story: The rents are so high and we have no choice. Whenever people see that we accepting these high numbers they think that UNHCR are paying for us.
UNHCR bad service:
Quote: “They never consider the numbers they give us, we wait there for the whole day”          
              “Renewing papers is a nightmare-I hate this day”
Emotions: Disrespect
Bad evaluation.
Bad assistance
Syrians are leaving as soon as the cash assistances are stopping
Quote: “My father says as soon as they stop the Food cash assistance I will go back”
Bad home visits: 
Story: Their way is rude, they take pictures of food we have tomato, potatoes even if they are 2 pieces, and it’s humiliating.
We all had our houses and farms no one didn’t own a house in Syria, we were wealthy families. 
Emotions: Humiliated


Racism and bad treatment by service providers:
Story:” In my first days in Jordan I went to clinic center for Doctors without Borders. There was a doctor there asking me the reason of my skin problem. When she asked me why I said I don’t know I got it since I entered Jordan. She started shouting at me by saying all your problems from Jordan, you blame Jordan for everything. I told her thank you & left”

Girl’s early marriage:
Bad economic is leading for early marriage:
The girls aren’t provided with their basic needs, so they aren’t satisfied at their parent’s home.

Parents are encouraging for early marriage.
A friend of mine asked her mother for a new mobile phone, the mother told her I can’t get you one go marry a wealthy man so he can get you a new phone”
Emotions: Unsatisfied at her parent’s home.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8.10.2017. Mohamed Mofeed. FGD Male Adult Amman

Interviewers: Aya + Farah Date: October 8, 2017 Location: Marka Comm. Liaison: Mohammed Mofeed Male/ Boys FGD Amman - A man who was unregistered was working informally; the colleagues protected him at first. But once he got promoted, the authorities were called on him. He ended up quitting/leaving.   Fear of authorities impact work - Asking for disabilities equipment’s takes a long time. And even after waiting his application was rejected. The stated reason was that his case was not severe enough according to medical file. Despite the fact that his leg was amputated his application was rejected.   Delays in delivery of aid – unjust decisions – bad system - After being denied the wheelchair his crutches broke and he asked for new ones. He was unable to walk without them but it still took them more than two weeks to provide him crutches.   Delays – bad system -- As a disabled child, 16 years old, he was attending different activities and cours...

ISLAM- FGD - 2017-10-12

ISLAM FGD Education University: 7 were all university students 6 of them ungraduated, 1 in techno and others in Yarmouk There were some differences in the required registration papers between universities -        Difficult registration papers : Quote : “We are asked to provide the universities formal papers from Syria and it’s unrealistic to ask for papers from Syria as we ran from there”. Story: I was asked for papers from Syria and what I did was contacted an office here in Jordan that facilitates formal papers and could do paper work in Syria through contacts inside Syria. Slow procedures in embassy Story: I went to the Syrian embassy for 1 weeks and they are too slow to provide services.              Economic issues               Causing students not to proceed with their university study.    ...

Mafraq - KII - Khawada - 2017-10-10

Mafraq Key Informant-khawada Economic Issues: No assistance aid. Teaching kids dropping out of school in her house because of passion and                                because of her own experience of dropping out of school. Low quality job Working in cleaning houses and cooking for people. Story :”I worked with the man that was managing a prostitution network, she was offered to see a man for once and he pays her 50 J.D when he sees her, when he asks for a second time she refuses. And so on until she get large amount of money”. Quote: “Working in houses exposes me to harassments”. Emotions : Exploited Prostitution job offers . Story: “Women I know asked me to come to her house because she’s looking for a better job, when I went there was a man there gave me directly 50 J.D then he offered me to work in their netw...